The History of University Park United Methodist Church
From its earliest days to the present, University Park United Methodist Church has been blessed with faithful members and visionary thinkers who answer God’s call to bring faith to life.
Since the church’s humble beginnings on Sunday, November 12, 1939, when 43 Methodists gathered for the church’s first worship service in the Highland Park High School auditorium, University Park United Methodist Church has been shaped by a guiding principle of bringing faith to life in all that we do and in all whom we serve.
Read more about the history of University Park UMC.
The plowshare used in the groundbreaking for the new educational
building on June 6, 1954 is in the church's archives.
The History of the United Methodist Church
The practices and policies of today’s United Methodist Church trace their origins to England in 1739 and John Wesley’s beliefs that God’s grace is available “free in all, and free to all” through Jesus Christ.
In England, Wesley took his message of God’s grace to a company of miners, preaching his first sermon in a field. Considered controversial because Wesley’s message was preached outdoors and away from the sanctuaries of the Anglican Church, these open-air services nevertheless drew hundreds of people looking for hope, forgiveness and purpose in their lives, prompting Wesley to preach in any surrounding where a group of listeners could be assembled.
Read more about the history of the United Methodist Church…